July 9, 2019
Your Ultimate Summer Outdoor Home Maintenance Checklist
With summer supplying easy, breezy good weather to get things done around the house, now is an ideal time to give your entire home or property a tune-up. Here’s a handy summer outdoor home maintenance checklist of 30 items to look at – from top to bottom.
Roof, gutters and downspouts
- Have your roof inspected for loose or missing shingles; repair and replace.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Clean the chimney and have it checked for strength.
- Have any skylights inspected, sealed and repaired.
Windows, Doors and Garage Doors
- Check that caulking and weather-stripping
isin good repair.
- Ensure all hardware such locks and handles work well.
- Replace cracked panes.
- Replace rotted wood framing or ledges.
- Repaint frames and ledges for protection.
- Repair or repaint doors.
- Repair and clean screens.
- Wash windows – enjoy the clean view!
- Fix, maintain or replace garage door or sections, tracks, spring or rollers.
- Clean and maintain the garage door opener.
- Book a handyman for help!
Porch, patio, decking and walkways
- Clean your porch, patio stones, walkway and deck of stains from grease, rust, food and dirt.
- Re-lay patio stones that may have shifted during winter; use fresh screening to block weeds.
- Repair wooden decking and steps to ensure wood is strong and screws and brackets are tight.
- Re-stain wood to make it waterproof.
- Check porch columns to ensure they are strong.
- Fill cracks and patch crumbled areas.
- Reseal for protection.
- Clean lighting and replace cracked or damaged fixtures.
Faucets and Electrical Outlets
- Fix leaky faucets.
- Check that outdoor outlets are working and protected with covers.
Walls and Foundation
- Fill cracks, holes and areas where dirt and grass have sunk around your foundation.
- Look for shifting or loose bricks and stones; repair or replace.
- Repair or replace broken, loose siding or damaged stucco.
- Repaint all exterior features that need protecting.
- Clean your air conditioner; clear away debris; check that hookups are sound.
- Inspect your barbecue for rust or decay and that pipes and valves are secure.
While this checklist applies to house maintenance, summer is also a great time to clean up your lawn, gardens and landscaping. And if you have a shed or storage containers such as for garbage cans, check them for strength and durability too.
Remember, for home maintenance and repairs, consider booking a HeyBryan Expert to help with all these tasks so that you can enjoy your summer. Experts are available who specialize in cleaning, handyman services, junk removal, lawn and yard maintenance, painting or special trades such as electrical or plumbing.
All HeyBryan Experts have been HeyBryan Approved for their skills and experience, and they also have the necessary tools – that will save you time and money. Experts have up to $1 million in insurance and background checks have been done so you can feel confident having an