Moving is a task that requires a big budget and a high level of organization. It will also require a lot of your time – whether that’s planning the move, packing your belongings, or the administrative tasks that come with it. While hiring a moving company can help you with time and stress, it can be costly. To help you decide what option is best for you based on your current situation, here are advantages and disadvantages to hiring a moving company versus renting a moving truck.
What You Need To Know About Moving Truck Rentals
- Moving truck rentals are affordable. You are in charge of doing the driving and the moving labor by yourself unless you choose to hire extra help or ask friends and family for assistance.
- Many truck rental companies offer storage for an extra fee and car towing services are also usually available.
- Trucks rentals range from 8-26 ft. and you are permitted to park on legal parking spots although it is recommended you check city regulations.
What You Need To Know About Moving Companies
- Moving companies can be expensive. Movers drive the truck as well as pack and unpack what’s inside. They take care of your move from A to Z.
- Some moving companies offer storage options for an extra fee and car shipment may be available.
- The size of the truck and the number of movers is based on the size of the home. The company will check parking regulations and get a parking permit if required.
Hiring a Moving Company VS. Renting a Moving Truck
In terms of pricing, renting a moving truck and moving on your own is much more cost effective than hiring a moving company. Renting a moving truck is cheap but it does come with its disadvantages. Hiring a moving company is very expensive, but will save you a lot of time and stress.
While a lot of people don’t mind driving, many don’t feel comfortable on the road. If you’re comfortable driving a large rental truck with all your belongings, you may want to consider renting a moving truck as an option. Alternatively, hiring a moving company does not require any driving as the driving is done for you which will save you the stress of driving that big truck.
It is very likely that your truck rental company or your moving company will have storage options available. Storage is very convenient during a move as it will help you store your belongings while you wait for the vacancy of your new home. Storing your belongings with the same company that is helping you move, is a convenient way to save time and money on the day of the move as your belongings will be in close proximity.
If you’re hiring a moving company, the size of the truck will be determined by the company based on the size of your home and your number of belongings. When it comes to renting a moving truck, truck sizes usually range from 8 – 26 ft. and should be chosen based on the size of your home. To know the size of the rental truck you need, see below.
- 1 Bedroom Apartment: 10-16 ft.
- 3 Bedroom Apartment: 14-24 ft.
- 2 Bedroom House: 12-22 ft.
- 3 Bedroom House: 14-24 ft.
When hiring a moving company, moving labor is included in the package. Renting a moving truck will require some additional help in order to move your belongings. You may want to ask friends and family in advance or hire help.
If you hire a moving company, they will take care of making sure wherever they park is legal and they will also obtain the required permits. When renting a moving truck, it is your responsibility to verify that your parking spot is legal. In most cases, parking the rental truck in a legal parking spot is permitted. Check with your city to find out more about rental truck parking regulations in your area.
Renting a Moving Truck: Pros & Cons
- More affordable than a moving company
- Control over the date & time of the move
- Control over the state of your belongings
- Responsibility of driving the rental truck
- Strict rules and regulations in place
- Responsibility of loading and unloading
Hiring a Moving Company: Pros & Cons
- Driving is done for you
- Loading and unloading is done for you
- Quicker than moving on your own
- More expensive than a truck rental
- No control over your belongings
- No control over time & date of the move
Moving Truck Rental vs Moving Company
While a moving truck rental is more affordable than hiring a moving company for your move, you may find yourself tired and stressed during the whole moving process. A truck rental will give you a lot more independence as you can decide the date and time of your move, without having to rely on a moving company’s schedule. Most importantly, a truck rental will allow you to have full control over your most important and fragile belongings.
If organizing your move from start to finish is a big stressor, you may want to consider hiring a moving company to do it for you. If you have the budget, a moving company can help you save a lot of time and stress. On the flip side, if you’re the DIY type who’s on a tight budget and has some time to spare, you should consider renting a moving truck.