Here are 16 winter home maintenance tips to save time and money that you can DIY or have someone who specializes in local handyman services do the work for you.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they’re working. Replace the batteries if necessary.
- Check weather stripping around doors and windows and replace if they’re coming loose or you feel a draft.
- Change your furnace filter so it continues to block dust and debris.
- Protect door entryways from snow and water damage with mats (indoors and outside), boot scrapers, shoe racks and boot trays.
- Clean the dryer lint trap, hose and vent – clogs can cause a fire.
- Wrap any exposed pipes that run near exterior walls with grey foam wrap to keep them warm.
- Take a peek in your attic. Any signs of critters or wet insulation? If you’ve been feeling colder than usual, consider adding more insulation.
- Fix faucet drips and save money on your water bill.
- Check walls for nail pops that could cause a future crack. Remove, replace and patch.
- Fix squeaky doors with lubricant.
- Tighten knobs on doors, cabinets and drawers.
- Remove and replace dried-out caulking around bathtubs, shower handles, faucets and tile.
- Reverse ceiling fans so warm air is pushed down into your rooms.
- Drain your hot water tank to clear out dirty sediment.
- Check your basement for cracks and water leaking around basement windows, especially near window wells where snow and ice can accumulate.
- Ensure air vents are clear from junk, toys, clothing, furniture and other obstructions. Close the vents in rooms not being used to save money. Drive the heat to where you need it.
Winter chills can cause home ills, so book a HeyBryan Expert who specializes in handyman services, Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) services, electrical, plumbing and roofing tasks to help you with these winter home maintenance tips to save you time and money. HeyBryan is a marketplace app that connects homeowners with vetted, trustworthy home experts to help with small tasks around the house.