Are you heading on vacation this winter? Whether you’re heading out on a weekend ski trip or down south to soak up some sun for a week or more, preparing your home before you leave is essential.
- Read more: The Top 8 Ski Destinations in Canada
Use this list to make your vacation more enjoyable and worry-free. Plus, who wants to worry if the stove is on while at the beach? Here are five tips to help you prepare your home before vacation:
1. Make sure all of your windows and doors are locked securely.
You want to protect your real estate investment while away. Consider adding an extra layer of protection by installing window or sliding door security bars.
2. Check your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are in working order.
Monitors are vital for the safety of your family and home, especially if you will be away for an extended period. It’s also a good idea to change the batteries on any alarms or motion detectors as a precautionary measure before your trip to ensure sensors will still function while you’re away.
3. Unplug all unnecessary electronics while you’re vacationing to help save energy and protect your appliances in case of power surges or outages.
For example, computers and televisions can be unplugged before you go.
4. Turn off your main water supply.
Check for shut-off valves in the basement near the water meter. Plumbing failure happens, and if it happens while you’re on vacation, you could come home to a flooded house and damaged furniture, electronics, and more.
5. Ask a trusted neighbour or friend to watch your property while you’re gone.
If you trust your neighbour with a key, consider leaving them a spare just in case you need them to stop by and check on the home while you’re away. Knowing someone is available can help you rest easy, knowing your vacation home is safe and secure.
- Read more: How to Avoid Winter Home Insurance Claims
There’s no need to stress about the safety of your real estate investment when taking a vacation! Following these tips can help ensure that your holiday is worry-free and your house is safe while you are away. Enjoy your travels, and have a great break.