February 23, 2012
The Essentials of Packing a Portable Storage Container for Moving or Storage Original Moving
When moving, many things need to be considered. Having a plan is the first step. Being organized can help take the stress out of your moving experience. Below is a list of tips for how best to pack a portable storage container both safely and efficiently:
- Pack old towels and blankets between boxes to minimize the shifting of boxes inside the storage container.
- Do not over pack boxes; bulging box sides can damage surrounding boxes.
- Place liquid containers in plastic bags to reduce the chance of leaking.
- Number each box. Create a list for each box and its contents.
- Keep all items from each room together. Sorting of contents will be easier and save you time.
- Purchase more boxes then what you think you’ll use; you never can have enough and many companies will buy back unused supplies.
- Reinforce boxes with at least one strip of heavy-duty packing tape on both the bottom and top of each box.
- Wrap all items with paper to reduce scratching.
- Position heavy items in the bottom of the box and lighter items on top.
- Utilize over-sized boxes for lampshades, delicate cushions, bedding and pillows.
- Leave clothes in dresser drawers, and use wardrobe boxes.
- Wrap framed pictures and artwork in bubble wrap for added security.
- Remove light bulbs from lamps before packing.
- Utilize straps to secure large items such as couches, refrigerators, dresser drawers, and entertainment stands.
- Place large or heavy items in the back or sides of the container.
- Leave enough space inside the container for a hand truck; it makes life much easier when you’re ready to unload.
- Make sure your storage pod is secure by placing a strong padlock on the container.
- Place packed boxes in order so unloading will take less time and you’ll have the essential items up front.
- Never pack or store any items that could cause a fire or damage to the container (e.g. gasoline, chemicals or heavy machinery).
- Consider storing your valuable belongings in a temperature-controlled (A/C & heat) warehouse to ensure the safety of your antiques, photos, candles, etc.
This article has been provided by UNITS Mobile Storage of Atlanta, which offers top quality in pod storage solutions across Atlanta. Rental options include temperature-controlled (A/C and heat) warehouse storage, onsite storage at a home or business, and local or long distance moves. To book, call 678-838-6556 Or, visit www.unitsstorage.com/portable-storage/georgia/atlanta .