April 23, 2013
10 House Hunting Tips
Home search with smarts.
Craig Barrett of CraigsMortgageService.com shared a great infographic about 10 house hunting tips that make it easier to find a new home. Albeit a great piece of information already, we here at Zoocasa want to take it to the next level and show how you can couple the tips with various features of our site to equip you with the best knowledge possible when searching for a home.
1. Take Pictures: They will come in handy when you have to compare homes and make a decision.
Zoocasa Recommends: Magicplan app by Sensopia. Check out our review of this essential free app for any homebuyer. It is dual purpose: take pictures and take notes or measurements of the property for future reference.
2. Don’t Do It Alone: Bring a friend or family member. It’s always good to have a second opinion.
Zoocasa Recommends: Remember, this is a huge purchase so you want to surround yourself with people who are looking out for your best interests. Also try to find someone who has already gone through the home buying process for extra tips and insight.
3. Find Out How Much You Can Afford: Concentrate on houses that fit your budget.
Zoocasa Recommends: An article called Homebuying Basics – How Much Can You Afford? from our Before You Buy section. This article outlines the essential financial considerations that you need to take into account when buying a home.
4. Consider The Proximity To Your Place of Work: Think about the cost and time it will take for you to commute.
Zoocasa Recommends: The commute tab on our listing pages. It goes without saying that you buy the neighbourhood when you buy your home so it is best to see whats around and how long it will take you to get to work.
5. Ask About Utilities and Other Maintenance Costs: This will give you an idea of what your expenses will be.
Zoocasa Recommends: Our Tools & Calculators article in our Before You Buy section. Quick calculations can save more than just time when buying a home.
6. Budget For Additional Costs: Figure out if you can afford other costs like necessary renovations.
Zoocasa Recommends: Our Get To Know The Hidden Costs of Buying a Home article in our Before You Buy section. In essence, experts recommend that you say 1-2% of the price of your home for closing costs.
7. Use a Real Estate Agent: Save yourself a lot of time and stress.
Zoocasa Recommends: Our House Hunting – How to Find a Homebuilder or Real Estate Agent article in our Before You Buy section. Real estate professionals are trained to handle the homebuying process so you don’t have to stress out!
8. Sleep On It Before You Decide: After a good night’s sleep you may have a different view.
Zoocasa Recommends: Remember this a big purchase! You might have a change of heart so take some time to settle before you sign the dotted line.
9. Decide On A Neighbourhood: Narrow down your search.
Zoocasa Recommends: The Walk Score tabs on our listing pages. Is a bank or grocery close by? What about a gas station or a bar? As mentioned above it goes without saying that you buy the neighbourhood when you buy your home.
10. Decide What You Need vs Want: Stay focused on what’s important.
Zoocasa Recommends: Living within your means! We would all love to live in a 12 bedroom mansion (and someday you just might) but by following the pointers above coupled with our tips, you might already know the answer to this question.