February 13, 2012
ecoENERGY Retrofit – Homes program deadline is June 30th
Energy efficiency is a concern for prospective homeowners who care about their carbon footprint, want to save money on home bills and increase their home value. If you are a prospective home owner conducting a home search, then keeping in mind the renovations that have been made on prospective homes that promote energy-efficiency is important as it will affect the comfort of your home and its resale value. Or, if you are looking at homes with an intention of possibly renovating, keep in mind the possible ways you may decide to retrofit a potential home for energy efficiency – and the grants that you can apply for.
The 2011 eco-ENERGY Retrofit program rule changes included pre-registration for the program to be eligible for grants up to $5000. Registered home owners who have yet to complete the renovation have an extended “post-retrofit evaluation” deadline:
All registered homeowners must still complete their retrofits by March 31, 2012. In order to allow homeowners registered with the program to receive a grant, the Government of Canada has extended the deadline for post-retrofit evaluations to June 30, 2012.
Visit the eco-ENERGY Retrofit Frequently-Asked Questions page for more details and contact information.
If you are not registered but are interested in other federal programs, below are links to further info about other incentives and home energy efficiency.
Related Links for Homeowners
- Green Incentives and Rebates across Canada – Discover green incentive programs available in your area and take advantage of the savings.
- Building a new home? – Find out about energy-efficient housing construction.
- Go with ENERGY STAR® – Products with the ENERGY STAR® symbol are the best in their class for energy efficiency.
- Available Incentives in Your Area: NRCan transfers file information to complementary regional programs in certain provinces and territories. Some of these programs remain open to homeowners who did not register to participate in ecoENERGY Retrofit.
- Energy Evaluations and Labels: The Government of Canada encourages homeowners to have an energy evaluation to identify improvements, and receive an EnerGuide rating label, even if they are not seeking a grant.
- Eco Action website: http://ecoaction.gc.ca/index-